Friday, September 9, 2016

#DiverseAThon TBR

I'm not sure if you were privy to it, but this week, a discussion has flared up in the booktube/book blogger/bookish whatever community about the importance (or non-importance) of diversity. This discussion began after a twitter argument between author V.E. Schwab and someone who had a bone to pick with her about the majority of the characters in her books being white.

And even though Schwab admitted that maybe she had some reflection to do and that she would try and do better in the future, a booktuber took it upon herself to make a 23-minute video about how she thought diversity is 'the worst word in the English language.'

Really, what I have to say about the video is: this lady is mad. Why you so mad, though? Why are you so threatened by the desire of people who are different than you to see themselves in the literature they read? It isn't like there will ever be a shortage of white/straight/able-bodied protagonists for you to intellectually masturbate to. At one point, she even says, 'I don't give a rat's ass about diversity.' Well, obviously you do, if it makes you so upset.



I mean, this lady seems to imply that segregation is a good thing put in place to protect culture and that diversity destroys different viewpoints (???) and that people who want diversity actually want to exterminate white people or something along those absolutely absurd lines. What the fuck? For real, what the fuck.


Anyway, the marvelous response to this was a Diverse-A-Thon by hosts Monica of shemightbemonica, Joce of squibblesreads, Whitney of whittynovels, and Christina Marie a.k.a. LCMarie19. The challenge of this read-a-thon is basically to seek out books that are more diverse than what you would usually read; there's no rules about how many books you need to read or anything like that, it's pretty chill. The group book for the challenge is Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, which is optional. Diverse-A-Thon lasts from 9/12 to 9/19.

I've already read Homegoing, so I chose the diverse books I know I have in my possession and I'm armed and ready for this challenge. Here's my TBR:

In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom In Order To Live by Yeonmi Park. This is the story of a young North Korean girl's struggle to find freedom. I saw a video of her describing her and her mother's escape across the border into China and my heart broke. I know this read will deal with heavy topics, but I also know it will be worth it.








AshAsh by Malinda Lo. A gay Cinderella retelling? Hell yeah!!











Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown. This is about a girl who's out of the closet who suddenly has to go back in when her priest father moves her family to a small town. She enjoys the way people treat her as a faux-straight girl until she meets a girl who makes her gay little heart race. 








I'm hoping to go to the library soon and get some more but that's all I have for now. 

I really appreciate this challenge, as a lesbian who struggles with mental health issues. I hope a lot of people participate and learn new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment