Thursday, September 8, 2016

Review | What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi

What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Genre: Short Stories

Published: March 8th 2016

Goodreads Summary:

"The key to a house, the key to a heart, the key to a secret—Oyeyemi’s keys not only unlock elements of her characters’ lives, they promise further labyrinths on the other side. In “Books and Roses” one special key opens a library, a garden, and clues to at least two lovers’ fates. In “Is Your Blood as Red as This?” an unlikely key opens the heart of a student at a puppeteering school. “‘Sorry’ Doesn’t Sweeten Her Tea” involves a “house of locks,” where doors can be closed only with a key—with surprising, unobservable developments. And in “If a Book Is Locked There’s Probably a Good Reason for That Don't You Think,” a key keeps a mystical diary locked (for good reason). 


Oyeyemi’s tales span multiple times and landscapes as they tease boundaries between coexisting realities. Is a key a gate, a gift, or an invitation?"

I was pleased to go back and find out that this was on my 16 Most Anticipated Books of 2016 list. I hadn't even remembered that I had read the description for this when I picked it up by coincidence at the library. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love short story anthologies. There is so much potential for storytelling if they are done right. And What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours is done so right! Starting each new story felt like opening a present. Each is unique, and although all of the stories are connected, they felt like their own little strange universes. I would definitely classify What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours as magical realism, but it ventured beyond that and took on a level of absurdity that was so entertaining to read.



One of the most surprising things about the book is the effortless diversity in each story. Oyeyemi integrates everyone into her book and I couldn't help feeling happy that so many people might find reflections of themselves inside.

I think the best way to review this book is by reviewing each story, so here goes:

Books and Roses might be my least favorite. Although the setting is creative and I cared about the characters, it didn't feel like it had a solid resolution. It might just be that I missed The Point, but it felt like it ended abruptly without answering some of the most important questions.

Sorry Doesn't Sweeten Her Tea might be my favorite. It's so grounded in reality - the fangirl disappointed by her erring idol - but it has this mounting feeling of magic like you're waiting for something extraordinary to happen. I was much happier with the ending of this one.

Is Your Blood As Red As This? gets a little confusing at times; it switches perspectives and the relationships between the characters are kind of unclear, although that might just be a reflection of real life. I did like the element of puppetry and the unique way that the puppeteers...puppetted? It was a fun read.

Drownings, I wasn't really fond of. It felt different from the other stories, kind of detached like it was from a different world. I guess it was set in some medieval time, which felt wrong and incompatible with every other story. I feel like it could've been taken out and the book would be the same or maybe even better.

Presence was sad. It made me really sad and I don't know why. Marriage and children are minefields and Oyeyemi definitely portrayed them well. I did enjoy it, though.

A Brief History of the Homely Wench Society was short, a little like Romeo and Juliet, but it was cute and the message was sweet.

Dornicka and the St. Martin's Day Goose was an inventive Little Red Riding Hood retelling and one of the stories that really blew me away. I'm not even sure why; it was just so well-written and fantastical, but with an earthy feel.

Freddie Barradov Checks...In? I don't really remember; in fact, I barely remember reading it, which means it must not be very remarkable.

If A Book Is Locked There's Probably A Good Reason For That Don't You Think (what a long-winded title) is the last one, and it wasn't the best story, but it was good. The mysterious character of Eva was intriguing and her weird demonic book even more so. I wish I knew what was up with that thing... It was a nice way to end the collection.

Phew, that was a lot of stories. I hope at least one of them interests you because I seriously recommend this book!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment