Wednesday, September 21, 2016

T5W | Characters You Wouldn't Want To Trade Places With

Top 5 Wednesday was created by gingerreadslainey and is moderated by Sam of Thoughts on Tomes. Here is the Goodreads group if you want to join!

I'm not sure there's any character I would want to trade places with; one of the key parts of the story is usually that there is a conflict, and I have trouble dealing with my own boring life. I don't need more problems added to it. But there are, of course, characters that are much worse off that I am. Here are the ones I wouldn't trade places with for a billion dollars.


1) Winston Smith from 1984


1984

The universe of 1984 was my first exposure to dystopia and the one that's scared me the most. Any show of disloyalty to the country is either met with torture or death. Every single aspect of your life is controlled. It's what I imagine North Korea is like.

2) The Baudelaire children from A Series of Unfortunate Events


The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)

Not only are both their parents dead and their house burned to the ground, not only are they ripped from the only life they've ever known and subject to the will of adults who don't seem to know what to do with three orphans; they're also stalked by a crazy man who wants to kill them and steal their inheritance away. To add to the misfortune, any time their luck seems to be looking up or they find a home with a person that treats them well, something inevitably goes wrong and their nice new guardian dies.

The title says it all really; who would want to be the victim of a series of unfortunate events? Not me.

3) Astrid from White Oleander


White Oleander

Besides having a murderess for a mother, Astrid has to experience some truly horrific things at a young age. I'm so glad my mother is not homicidal!

4) Anyone from The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)

This one doesn't really need an explanation.

5) Ma from Room


Room

Not only was Ma kidnapped at a young age, she was raped for years and years, trapped in a tiny room. She even had to have her baby, by herself, in the microscopic room. Awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment