Thursday, September 22, 2016

Review | The Muse by Jessie Burnton

The Muse

Rating: 1/5 Stars

Genre: Historical Fiction

Published: July 26th 2016

Goodreads Summary:

"A picture hides a thousand words . . .

On a hot July day in 1967, Odelle Bastien climbs the stone steps of the Skelton gallery in London, knowing that her life is about to change forever. Having struggled to find her place in the city since she arrived from Trinidad five years ago, she has been offered a job as a typist under the tutelage of the glamorous and enigmatic Marjorie Quick. But though Quick takes Odelle into her confidence, and unlocks a potential she didn't know she had, she remains a mystery - no more so than when a lost masterpiece with a secret history is delivered to the gallery.

The truth about the painting lies in 1936 and a large house in rural Spain, where Olive Schloss, the daughter of a renowned art dealer, is harbouring ambitions of her own. Into this fragile paradise come artist and revolutionary Isaac Robles and his half-sister Teresa, who immediately insinuate themselves into the Schloss family, with explosive and devastating consequences . . ."

Review:

I'm sorry to say that I am disappointed by this book. I hyped myself up for it because The Miniaturist was so awesome, but this was so...boring. And that's the worst thing a book can be.

The first half was okay but by the second I was wishing it would just end - I could see what was coming and I desperately did not care. I even scanned the last few pages without really reading them, just so I could close the damn book and say I read the whole thing.

The thing that annoyed me the most: the characters. The character in the 'present day' I guess you would call it, Odelle, was fine. I was interested in her experience as a Carribean woman moving to the UK, about the racism she experienced and how British imperialism affected her worldview. But that story could have easily been applied to a better character. One who had a personality. You could call Odelle an empty vessel - the author used her to push the story along without filling her up with character traits and a distinct voice. 

The characters in the flashbacks were worse. Olive was so incredibly unlikable. The whole Schloss family was. They were just as blank as Odelle. And Isaac. Dear God. What a fucking Gary Stu. He's handsome and the ladies love him. He's edgy and brave and stands up for the poor. And he is as bland as mashed potatoes. Not only that, but he's kind of an asshole. Teresa was the only character I could stand.

The angsty one-sided romance between Isaac and Olive was so sparkless and dull; reading from Olive's point of view made me want to tear my hair out. Oh really? She only found the inspiration to paint gorgeous pictures after she met him? How original! Girl power, amirite?

Whatever mystery the author tried to set up was obvious by the fifth chapter. I rolled my eyes so hard when it was revealed I think I could see my brain. If you want to keep your readers guessing, don't spell it out for them at the very beginning. 

The plot was transparent, the characters sucked, and I nearly fell asleep while reading it; not much else to say about this book.

I still have faith in Jessie Burton though. I think she's a great writer. Let's just see this as a bump in the road in a hopefully successful career.

No comments:

Post a Comment