Friday, September 2, 2016

August 2016 Wrap Up

I read about 4 books with month, which I think is a pretty good number (for me at least), considering that school started this month and I've been sick. I have gotten a lot of reading done while I've been sick; not much else to do when you're stuck on the toilet!


Image result for rebel of the sands

The first book I read this month was Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. I really enjoyed it and I'm excited for the second! I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars. My review is here.










I haven't written reviews yet for the other three books I read, but here they are:

Excellent Daughters: The Secret Lives of Young Women Who Are Transforming the Arab World
Excellent Daughters by Katherine Zoepf, which is pretty good although not as good as it could've been.
















Homegoing

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, which was amazing! Beyond my highest expectations.
















What Is Not Yours Is Not YoursWhat Is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi and I have to say, this might be one of my favorite books of the year!



















I did try to read two other books this month but didn't finish them because I didn't like them. They were:

Ready Player One by Ernest ClineReady Player One by Ernest Cline. I didn't enjoy the writing style. It's hard for me to stomach first-person in any circumstance but the weird 80's fetish really put me off and I didn't feel like sitting through the rest of the book.
















The Incarnations by Susan BarkerThe Incarnations by Susan Barker, which wasn't necessarily bad but was too focused on location and not enough on character and didn't capture my attention in the way I was wishing it would. I might try to read it again in the future.
















I am still reading one book at the moment:


UprootedUprooted by Naomi Novik. This book has got its claws in me! I am so obsessed with this story I can't stop reading. This looks like it'll be a five-star review from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment